Education Category: Games
Ages: 4-8, 8-12, 12-16, 16+
Buried Treasure Game
Has your child ever wanted to become a pirate?
Let's put her healthy imagination into action!
Pirates hide their treasure , bury it in the sand of distant island beaches.
Help your preschooler hide a treasure in an empty bottle, and make a pirate map and show where the treasure lies!
What You Need:
- an empty bottle
- Sand or rice
- Treasures that will fit through the mouth of the bottle such as marbles, coins, sequins, plastic animals, etc.
What You Do:
1. Let the child fill the plastic bottle at least 3/4 full with sand or rice.
2. Let the child slip various treasures into the bottle. Explain she has just created a
mixture — something composed of two or more materials. How is the each indgredient
different in the mixture?
3. Show your child how the treasures can be 'buried' and 'dug up' simply by rolling the bottle and
shifting the sand inside.
4. Now it's time to make a treasure map! Find a special place for the buried treasure in your child's
room. Draw the outline of the room and have your child add windows, doors, and furniture that
can be labeled and remember that X marks the spot for buried treasures!
To extend this project, challenge another family member to follow the map to the buried treasure. Does it
© Copyright 2006-2012 Education.com All Rights Reserved.