Education Category: General, Creative
Sorting shape, colour, size, weight etc.
Fill a bucket or a Tupperware box up with one of these materials: stones, shells, buttons, beats, dry beans.
Don’t put them alltogether but fill the bucket up with different kinds of stones or different kinds of buttons etc.
- Let the child sort the stones and put them in groups.
- Give them clear instructions.
- Put all the little and the big stones together.
- Make a group of all the blue beats
- More difficult: Sort all the beats matching color, green with green, blue with blue, red with red etc..
- Make a group of all the triangle shaped stones
- Make a group of all the heavy stones
Tip: you can also challenge the children to count the materials after they sort them! Count while you clean up!
Make the children look for two of the same materials by using their senses (feel, touch, smell, see, hear, taste) .
Tip: if you blind fault the child he can also excerise to use his other senses.
Box with fabrics and cloths
- Make a box with fabrics and cloths which will feel different
- Put two pieces of fabric in the box
- The child is only allowed to feel
- Eyes are closed
- Encourage the child find two of the same kind
Other materials (put two pieces of every material in the box)
- Sand paper: different structures (to feel)
- Colour cardboard: different color (to see)
- Stones: different sizes (to feel)
- Food: different tastes (to taste)
Make a serie:
Choose one of the following materials to make a serie:
Stones, buttons, sandingpaper, sticks, branches, bottles etc.
Challenge the child to make a serie, give clear instructions:
- Make a row with buttons, from small to big
- Start with the smallest and find bigger, biggest
Stones: from light to heavy
Bottles: from small to big
Branches and sticks: from small to big or from short to long