- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 thumb-sized fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 (3 to 4 pounds) whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 cups water
- 1 small green papaya, pared, seeded and cut into 2-inch wedges
- 1 bunch fresh spinach leaves, stems trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions, ginger and garlic and cook until limp and aromatic.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken starts to change color and juices run clear. Add fish sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil, skimming scum that float on top. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add papaya and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until tender yet crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Serve hot.
Stories, tips and experiences from specific countries in Asia: Afghanistan - Armenia - Azerbaijan - Bangladesh - Bhutan - Brunei - Cambodia - China - Hong Kong - India - Indonesia - Japan - Kazakhstan - Kyrgyzstan - Laos - Macau - Malaysia - Maldives - Mongolia - Myanmar - Nepal - North Korea - Oman - Pakistan - Palestinian Territories - Papua New Guinea - Philippines - Singapore - South Korea - Sri Lanka - Taiwan - Tajikistan - Thailand - Timor-Leste - Turkmenistan - Uzbekistan - Vietnam