- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 thumb-sized fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 (3 to 4 pounds) whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 cups water
- 1 small green papaya, pared, seeded and cut into 2-inch wedges
- 1 bunch fresh spinach leaves, stems trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions, ginger and garlic and cook until limp and aromatic.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken starts to change color and juices run clear. Add fish sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil, skimming scum that float on top. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add papaya and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until tender yet crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Serve hot.
Number of Persons:
1 tablespoon oil 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced 2 thumb-sized fresh ginger, peeled and julienned 1 (3 to 4 pounds) whole chicken, cut into serving pieces 2 tablespoons fish sauce 5 cups water 1 small green