This program, run by the Department of Education of Zhejiang Province, hires European professionals to work as Cultural Ambassadors to teach the English language, with a focus on communication skills, in Chinese primary and secondary schools in the cities of Wenzhou, Lishui, Jinhua, Taizhou, Quzhou Zhejiang Province.
The reason for this program is to help children in tier-three cities with gaining intercultural understandings. It is a public service activity, which is fully supported by the local governments of Zhejiang Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, Department of Education of Zhejiang Province as well as Education Bureaus of Wenzhou, Lishui, Jinhua and Taizhou.
As a European Cultural Ambassador, you will be assigned to different groups of students in one city. Your main responsibilities are teaching speaking English, organising activities for students to learn about european cultures as well as participating in yearly school activities. In total, you will have a maximum of 20 teaching hours per week. Each teaching hour is 45 minutes.
Throughout the school year, you will always have a Chinese assistant standing by to help you out. Every half-year, you will have at least a month paid school break to travel around China and other Asian countries. The length of the program is 10 months, with one or two months of school break in the middle of the year.
Who is eligible for the program?
- Dutch, Belgian, German, British, Irish, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Austrian, Finnish, French, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese nationals.
- Speak fluent English.
- Have a Bachelor degree or above.
- Between 20 and 45 years of age.
- Proof of no criminal record.
- Be deemed physically and psychologically healthy. (A signed letter from a physician is required)
- Have an open-minded and flexible attitude.
What are the benefits?
- Monthly salary EUR 830 net (RMB 6500), which allows you to live comfortably in China.
- EUR 1275 flight allowance after completion of the program.
- Comprehensive Chinese medical insurance.
- A paid single apartment includes kitchen facilities, a private bathroom, fast WIFI, fridge, wash machine, bed and wardrobe closet.
- Free meals at the school canteen.
- Paid 11 days of Chinese public holiday plus one to two months of school break.
- A reference letter issued by the Ministry of Education of Zhejiang province, which will help develop your career both in China and Europe.
What documents will be required for starting the application?
- A scanned copy of your passport’s main page.
- Your university transcript or copies of your degree(s) and/or diploma(s).
- A short English introduction video to showcase your English pronunciation.
- A recently updated English CV.