At permaculture project Quinta do Vale a lot of work can be done. For years they have been creating their own small scale permaculture area in a Portugese valley. Through education and training they also try to have impact on a greater amount of people. But in 2017 great wildfires destroyed a large part of the valley and also a part of their permaculture property. The upside of the fires could be that locals might open up for a more sustainble land use. Taking good care of the land could have helped reducing the impact of the 2017 fires. As a volunteer you are very welcome to help them reforest the area. Get in contact through their website for updates on the volunteer needs.
They now welcome (quoted from their website):
- If you want to just rock up in a campervan or with a tent and stay a couple of nights, you’re welcome.
- If you’re just looking for a park-up while you do other things in the area, you’re welcome.
- If you want to stay from a week to a month or two, volunteer some work and learn everything you can, you’re welcome.
- If you’re particularly interested in doing some natural building repairs and reconstruction, you’re welcome.
- If you have DIY skills or a trade and fancy coming to spend a summer helping us and the rest of the community, you’re welcome and we will all love you forever.
- If you want to come and download all the accumulated knowledge and experience that’s in my head from nearly a decade living off grid, you’re welcome to do that too.