You probably know one of the most famous Japanese dishes; chicken teriyaki. It is a bit of a sweet and salty dish that goes great with rice. I have never been able to try it, since I never thought to make it myself, until my Japanese friend came over last week. Turns out, it is super easy! Now, we did not make the traditional Japanese chicken teriyaki, but we made a variation on it - with orange. This gives it a nice citrus twist, and a bit more fresh.
Mind that this recipe is with vegan chicken pieces, but if you cannot find those, you can replace them with tofu, tempé or even veggies (like green beans) for example.
1. Combine the four tablspoons (almost half a jar) of marmalade, sake, soy sauce and mirin and stir well.
2. Cut the onion in semi thick, half slices and fry them in some oil. Then cut the garlic into small pieces and add to the pan as well.
3. After about 2 minutes, add the chicken pieces and fry them untill they become a little bit golden on the outside. Now it is time to add the veggies if you decide to use them.
4. Add the teriyaki sauce and stir it in. Now let it simmer and wait until the sauce thickens. If you like thinner sauce, add another tablespoon of everything, if you want thicker sauce, you can add some cornflour.
5. Now add the sesame seeds and some spring onion for seasoning and serve with steamed rice - voila! :)
Please let me know if you enjoyed it!