Let children craft their own train! It's not only much fun to make your own - it's also a whole lot cheaper!
What You Need:
- Empty oatmeal canister
- Black construction paper
- Clear tape
- Paper fasteners
- Small cardboard tube from a roll of paper towel
- Permanent markers
What You Do:
- Trace the lid of the canister on a piece of black paper. Cut out the circle and replace the lid.
- Glue the circle to the bottom of the canister.
- Wrap black paper around the whole canister, leaving the top uncovered, and secure with tape.
- Cut four small circular wheels out of cardboard.
- Punch a hole in the middle of each circle with the nail. Punch four holes in the canister: one a few inches from the top, one a few inches from the bottom, and two directly opposite those on the other side of the canister.
- Use the paper fasteners to attach the wheels to the canister by inserting a fastener through the hole in the circle and then the hole in the canister. Repeat with remaining circles and fasteners.
- Lie canister on its side.
- Cut the bottom 1/3 of the cardboard tube and glue it to the top of the canister (now lying on its side) as a smokestack.
- Draw a face on the lid of the canister, now the front of the train, using permanent marker.
- Poke a hole in the lid, attach a string and knot it before replacing.
You now have your own, homemade pull toy. Toot toot!
© Copyright 2006-2012 Education.com All Rights Reserved.