JoHo kan jouw hulp goed gebruiken! Check hier de diverse bijbanen die aansluiten bij je studie, je competenties verbeteren, je cv versterken en je een bijdrage laten leveren aan een mooiere wereld
This article is about the work of Dr. Robert J Sternberg. He is the past president of the American Psychological Assocation (APA) and is working at the Cornell University. His CV is more than 100 pages long and he has more than 150.000 citations. In recent times, some people have been complaining that most of these citations are self-citations. It also seems that Sternberg makes use of his previous work. A graduate student of the University of Leicester contacted Nick Brown and told him that the texts in Sternberg’s articles and chapters sometimes were almost identical.Exhibit 1The graduate student found a 2010 article by Sternberg and noticed that this article was a mashup of his own article from the same year and a book chapter from 2002. There were only a few differences made to the text: some terms had been changed. For instance, “school psychology” was replaced with the term “cognitive education”. This probably had to do that the first was published in “School Psychology International” and the other article in “Journal of Cognitive Education and Psychology”. Exhibit 2By downloading Sternberg’s CV and selecting a couple of random articles Nick Brown looked for more examples of this kind of behavior. He found articles from 2003 and 2005 written by Sternberg and his collegeau Dr. Elena Grigorenko and found that these articles had huge overlap. About 60% of the text in the later article was recycled from the article in 2003. And neither of these articles cite each other. Exhibit 3Brown was interested in whether some of the texts in the articles mentioned in Exhibit 2 were also used in other publications. He found that chapter 6 of his book in 2012 was based on text of other chapters, such as chapter 11 from his 1990 book, a chapter from his book in 1998, the 2003 article mentioned in Exhibit 2 and chapter 10 of the 2010 book, which was written by Sternberg, Jarvin and Grigorenko.He cited 59 of his own publications and 10 chapters of...
The full content is only visible for Logged in World Supporters.
More benefits of joining WorldSupporter
- You can use the navigation and follow your favorite supporters
- You can create your own content & add contributions
- You can save your favorite content and make your own bundles
- See the menu for more benefits
Full access to all pages on World Supporter requires a JoHo membership
- For information about international JoHo memberships, read more here.
Support JoHo and support yourself by becoming a JoHo member
Become a Member
- for free to follow other supporters, see more content and use the tools
- for €10,- by becoming a member to see all content
Why create an account?
- Your WorldSupporter account gives you access to all functionalities of the platform
- Once you are logged in, you can:
- Save pages to your favorites
- Give feedback or share contributions
- participate in discussions
- share your own contributions through the 7 WorldSupporter tools
Add new contribution